Life's Daily Challenges Forum
Welcome back to Life's Daily Challenges Forum, we are glad you're here! Please log in.

This forum is a place for inspiration and hope through life's daily challenges. Poems, quotes, testimony, comfort, support, and more!

RegisterHomeLog inGalleryUsergroupsMemberlistCalendarFAQ
Welcome New Members!
We're glad to have you. Please feel free to jump into current discussions, or start one of your own. Again, welcome to Life's Daily Challenges!
Latest topics
» Epic Entrepreneur
7/11/2017, 5:37 pm by Nancy

» Do others frustrate you?
9/29/2014, 3:15 pm by Nancy

» Which flower are you?
9/19/2014, 9:54 pm by Nancy

» Saturday fun
9/13/2014, 6:46 pm by Nancy

» Dr. Phil's "Ten Life Laws"
9/8/2014, 1:53 am by Nancy

» NEW FORUM TOPICS!!
9/3/2014, 12:32 am by Nancy

Visit us on Pinterest!
Visit DailyChallenges's profile on Pinterest.
Book Release

End of Summer Sale!!!
Use coupon code: 9SJBDYRW to save $2.00 off the original list price of $5.38, get your copy of Life's Daily Challenges (printed edition) now and save big!

To get your copy of the printed edition, please visit our: E-Store

Also available on Kindle for $3.00: Kindle Edition
Follow us on Facebook!
Start free!

Free website, marketing tools, training, etc.! BBB credited, W9 filed w/IRS, pay day on Friday through direct deposit!

Join Today!

Share | 

Ego and happiness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nancy
Founder, Author
Founder, Author

Number of posts : 253
Humor : Life is funny how it works....so laugh out loud each day.

PostSubject: Ego and happiness   12/23/2010, 1:44 am

There is a bit of good news, and that is "we hold the power" to "make the choice" to "be happy" regardless of life's daily challenges that come our way. For most of us we "allow" the ego to drive us through life. We "think" the ego is who we are. But the fact is that ego is nothing other than "thoughts in our mind" or "a story that we have told ourselves and believe", and the ego has convinced our true self that the thoughts in our mind is who we are, but it is not. Our true self, identity, soul, or what have you, is far deeper than that of the ego.

Our true identity lies in the deepest, most inner self. The part of you in which you get in touch with when you have complete stillness. For those who meditate on a regular basis, do it for the reason of getting in touch with their inner self. To keep peace in their lives. To keep happiness in their lives. Although, for many of them even, they do not realize that their ego (which we all have one) continues to fight against them to get what it wants. Thus the reason for continued temptations and other challenges, regardless of their efforts to stay above water and maintain a healthy life. As well as the reason why some of them do not understand why it is that after meditation on a regular basis that they are unhappy with life in general, yet continue to seek for the answers.

The ego thrives off of things that make it feel worthy or high value, justified, superior, approved of, and so on. And it is never satisfied for very long, and then it thinks it is unhappy, and therefore seeks out something else to be happy about. And in many cases, this is when a person finds themselves seeking for instant gratification through making unnecessary purchases. A person will also seek instant gratification through insulting or gossiping about another person in order to build themselves up or feel superior, and worthy, as another form of happiness. Over all, the ego thinks that it has been short changed in some way, such as lack of financial means, social issues, etc. Therefore triggering a negative emotion, which then thinks it is unhappy.

Most of us think that happiness is some magical gift; such as, material things, or perhaps a kind gesture from another, or a fantastic label (such as doctor) to describe our identity as being superior to others as a form of happiness. None of these things are happiness, nor can they bring happiness. Why? Because the things mentioned and other similar things are driven from the ego. And ego is never happy for long.

The problem is that most people seek for happiness in all the wrong places. Again, it is not material things, personal labels, approval, superiority, or other similar things that bring us happiness. But rather we realize it or not, that is where most of us continue to look for happiness, and find themselves frustrated because they do not find it there. So where do we find true happiness? It has been said by numerous people, numerous times, starting from ancient times printed in the bible....happiness comes from within.

What is really absurd is, many of us already know this, but from time to time we find ourselves at a point of such frustration and desperation when we finally remind ourselves of this fact....once again, knowing it to be the truth. And when we do come to this realization once again, we find ourselves truly happy with life, briefly anyway. We find that we have much to be grateful for, and many blessings that have come into our lives. We find that we are alive, food on the table, a roof over our head, a child to hold near and nurture, we have a job or career to provide for our needs, and so on. And that "happiness does not lie in the having, but it lies in the blessing". It lies within the spirit of self, in the being a blessing to others. Quite simply put, happiness is not what the world can do for you, but what you do for the world. And when one has this true happiness, they feel more special than any material thing, label or anything else could ever make them feel.

Most of us have had at least a glimpse of true happiness from time to time. But the next question is how do we maintain this true happiness all the time? By continuing to acknowledge, identify, and stay in touch with your true self. By taking time out of each day to get in touch with your authentic self. By being aware of the ego, and when it triggers a reaction in you. By not allowing the ego to drive you through life. And finally by finishing each day with gratitude for the blessings that you have each day.

Through doing this, you will find that your life will change dramatically. Finally you feel on top of the world because you will be on top of the world. You will feel empowered, because you have empowered yourself. You will feel love, because you are loving. You will feel prosperous, because windows of opportunity will open for you due to letting things happen naturally instead of allowing the ego to fight against it. You will discover a new passion, because you are looking through a new pair of glasses. You will feel healthier, because you no longer give attention to the pain. You will feel happier, because you no longer seeks for the things that feed the ego. And over all, you will finally be the person you have wanted to be all along.

Follow on Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mlee07@cox.net
Author
Author

Number of posts : 31
Humor : Funny

PostSubject: Re: Ego and happiness   1/14/2011, 6:03 pm

I love this Nancy and it's so true. When we turn our attention to what and how we can give or serve we actually experience ourselves as Source (the source of someone else's happiness, peace etc) which naturally takes us out of victim mode and into empowerment.

The ego is very selfish saying what's in it for me, Love says how can I serve.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Michelle Lee, CH
www.overcomeangerandlowselfesteem
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nancy
Founder, Author
Founder, Author

Number of posts : 253
Humor : Life is funny how it works....so laugh out loud each day.

PostSubject: Re: Ego and happiness   1/15/2011, 12:07 am

Very well said Michelle! I love how you brought the Lord into the discussion!!!! I was just thinking about a piece that I am going to be writing probably tomorrow when I have a little more time on my side. It is going to be about the Lord in our lives, but as I was thinking about it & what I want to say....the "ego" came to mind again. Just a taste of good things to come lol.

Follow on Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ego and happiness   

Back to top Go down

Ego and happiness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1